Part of being a specialist in an area is knowing the field. This includes being aware of what other specialists have discovered and think about different subjects. Below are our recommended lists of journals and books that include topics about computer graphics, virtual reality and game development. We also recommend the EBSCO Discovery service for finding articles and algorithms related to your particular topic. Useful software for managing all your references is Zotero.
All sorts of different computer graphics algorithms and techniques for achieving a visually amazing results.
- Fundamentals of Computer Graphics – Steve Marschner, Peter Shirley (4th edition)
- The OpenGL Programming Guide (Red Book) (9th edition)
- GPU Gems (1, 2 and 3)
- GPU Pro series (1 to 7)
- GPU Zen series (1 to …)
About developing applications for virtual reality. Both design and performance considerations.
- The VR Book: Human-Centered Design for Virtual Reality – Jason Jerald
- Unreal Engine VR Cookbook: Developing Virtual Reality with UE4 – Mitch McCaffrey
The key principles of designing games and what effect games have on players and culture.
- ACM International Journal of Computer Games Technology
- IEEE Transactions on Games
- IEEE Transactions on Computational Intelligence and AI in Games
- Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication
- The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses – Jesse Schell (pdf)
- Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals – Katie Salen Tekinbaş (pdf)
- Everything Bad is Good for You: How Today’s Popular Culture is Actually Making Us Smarter – Steven Johnson
- Wonderland: How Play Made the Modern World – Steven Johnson