Part of being a specialist in an area is knowing the field. This includes being aware of what other specialists have discovered and think about different subjects. Below are our recommended lists of journals and books that include topics about computer graphics, virtual reality, augmented reality and game development. We also recommend the EBSCO Discovery service for finding articles and algorithms related to your particular topic of research. Useful software for managing all your references is Zotero.
For the listed books down below:
– Physical copy is in the library
– Physical copy is in the CGVR Lab.
– Digital copy is in the O’Reilly Online Library (ex Safari Books Online).
– PDF or HTML directly available.
Journals are available via the UT library databases.
All sorts of different computer graphics algorithms and techniques for achieving a visually amazing results.
- ACM SIGGRAPH
- ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG, new SIGGRAPH)
- IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
- Computer Graphics Forum
- NVIDIA’s GPU Technology Conference Presentations
- Ke-Sen Huang’s Resources Page
- Fundamentals of Computer Graphics – Steve Marschner, Peter Shirley (3rd edition ) (4th edition)
- The OpenGL Programming Guide (Red Book) (9th edition)
- GPU Gems (1, 2 and 3)
- GPU Pro series (1 to 7)
- GPU Zen series (1 to …)
- Bézier and B-Spline Techniques – H. Prautzsch, W. Boehm, M. Paluszny
- Real-Time Rendering – T. Akenine-Moller, E. Haines, N. Hoffman (3rd edition ) (4th edition )
- Physically Based Rendering: From Theory to Implementation – G. Humphreys and M. Pharr (3rd edition )
- Advanced Methods in Computer Graphics: With examples in OpenGL – R. Mukundan
- Vulkan Cookbook – P. Lapinski
- The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants – A. Lindenmayer and P. Prusinkiewicz
For the GPU Pro and GPU Zen books, see also our Tables of Contents page.
About developing applications for virtual reality. Both design and performance considerations.
- The VR Book: Human-Centered Design for Virtual Reality – Jason Jerald
- Unreal Engine VR Cookbook: Developing Virtual Reality with UE4 – Mitch McCaffrey
About augmented reality from a practical development-oriented approach.
- Understanding Augmented Reality: Concepts and Applications – Alan B. Craig
- Augmented Reality for Developers – Jonathan Linowes
- Learn ARCore – Fundamentals of Google ARCore – Micheal Lanham
- Unity 2018 Augmented Reality Projects – Jesse Glover
The key principles of designing games and what effect games have on players and culture.
- ACM International Journal of Computer Games Technology
- ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction
- IEEE Transactions on Games
- IEEE Transactions on Computational Intelligence and AI in Games
- Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication
- The Computer Games Journal – Springer
- The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses – Jesse Schell
- Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals – Katie Salen Tekinbaş
- Level Up! The Guide to Great Video Game Design – Scott Rogers
- Game Design Workshop: A Playcentric Approach to Creating Innovative Games – Tracy Fullerton
- Game Feel – Christer Ericson
- Replay: The History of Video Games – Tristan Donovan
- Game Programming Gems
- Game Engine Architecture – Jason Gregory
- Game Coding Complete – Mike McShaffry, David Graham
- Development and Deployment of Multiplayer Online Games, Vol. I:
GDD, Authoritative Servers, Communications – ‘No Bugs’ Hare
- Development and Deployment of Multiplayer Online Games, Vol. II:
DIY, (Re)Actors, Client Arch., Unity/UE4/ Lumberyard/Urho3D – ‘No Bugs’ Hare
- Foundations of Game Engine Development, Volume 1: Mathematics – Eric Lengyel
- Foundations of Game Engine Development, Volume 2: Rendering – Eric Lengyel
- Real-Time Collision Detection – Christer Ericson
- Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications – James M. Van Verth, Lars M. Bishop
- Programming Game AI by Example – Mat Buckland
- Artificial Intelligence for Games – Ian Millington – John Funge
- Game Engine Black Book: Wolfenstein 3D – Fabien Sanglard
- The Art of Videogames – Grant Tavinor
- Everything Bad is Good for You: How Today’s Popular Culture is Actually Making Us Smarter – Steven Johnson
- Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture – David Kushner
- Racing the Beam: The Atari Video Computer System (Platform Studies) – Nick Montfort
- Wonderland: How Play Made the Modern World – Steven Johnson